Rugby betting is a form of sports betting that involves predicting the outcome of a rugby match. To win, punters have to correctly choose which side will be victorious or whether there will be a draw between either team.
Rugby betting began when the sport gained attention worldwide. In 1997, bookies earned lots of money by betting on the Rugby League. That's when they realized how potential the sport was in attracting punters, just like football.
Veteran sportsbooks such as BetWays and Unibet would then start taking bets on rugby, and as they say, the rest is history. Today, every minute of a rugby match is of great value to punters.
How popular is rugby betting?
While rugby betting may not be as popular as football betting, it is still a very popular form of gambling. This is mainly because rugby is a global sport with many different tournaments throughout the year. Punters can find plenty of betting opportunities when it comes to rugby, which is one of the main reasons the industry continues to grow.
How to bet on rugby
To bet on rugby, one needs to:
- Log into their betting account and
- Select rugby as the sport they want to bet on.
- Select a rugby match and the type of bet they want to place
- Choose/enter the amount of money they want to stake
- Submit the bet and wait for the outcome
What are the main types of rugby bets?
Rugby betting offers many types of bets. Here are some examples:
- Match Winner: This type of bet involves predicting the winner of a rugby match.
- Handicap Betting: This is when one team is given a head start to make the odds more even.
- Point Spread Betting: This type of bet is similar to handicap betting, but it involves predicting how many points one team will win or lose by.
- Tournament Winner: This is a bet on who will win a specific rugby tournament.
Over/Under: This is when punters predict whether the combined scores of a rugby match will be over or under a specific number.
Many other bet types are also available, and punters should do their research before placing any wagers.